Solo Horse Trekking in Mongolia
Have you ever been dreaming about riding solo across Mongolia? To make this dream come true there’s a lot you need to know. At Stepperiders we will teach you everything you need to know in a condensed time frame. Get no-nonsense, down-to-earth planning and advice including:
- Horses: Stepperiders rents reliable horses for solo-trek. You will be taught how to ride your horse and manage a pack horse. How to take care of your horse(s) and be safe.
- Tack: We will show you how to pack your equipment and secure it on your horse(s). It is possible to rent from us the equipment for the riding horses and pack-horses.
- Itinerary: where to find water and grass for your horses, terrain, dangers etc
- Communicating with herders: how to ask for lodging or food to a herder family, how much to pay, customs.
- Culture: customs, taboos, dos and don’ts.
- Language: essential Mongolian language phrases.
- Safety: dangers and annoyances, horse thieves. You have to prepare an emergency plan in case of injury: who to contact, nearest hospital, insurance etc. We highly recommend you bring a satellite phone and GPS tracker with emergency button.
- Behind those big brown eyes: understanding the Mongolian horse.
You will decide how many days you want to stay and which topics you need to cover. Usually people train for 5 to 7 days before to start their solo trek. The minimum training for people renting our horses is 5 days.
We charge $75 per person per day for solo training, this includes all meals and accommodation in a ger. You will be training with the experienced horsemen, so please decide on your dates as soon as possible, then contact us to get your deposit in to lock in those dates.
“I first made contact with Stepperiders nearly 3 months ago. I came to them with dozens of questions about how to do a solo horse trip through Mongolia. They were extremely informative and invited me to stay at Stepperiders while I became accustomed to Mongolia. After spending a week with Stepperiders, I felt very comfortable setting off on my own. I have been introduced to customs and ways of life I would have otherwise stumbled over throughout my trip. Thank you very much Stepperiders.”
“I wanted to try independent travelling by horse in Mongolia… and I discovered Stepperiders! I thought that meeting them would be a good preparation for getting out there on my own… Err, I was wrong: It was AWESOME !!! Definitely stay a couple of days with them, and they will let you know all that you need about preparing a trip, buying horses, choosing your equipment, behaving with the Mongolians…Cheers all, Stepperiders is bound to succeed!!!”
“I really recommend Stepperiders if you are planning to do solo horse trekking. Unless you speak Mongolian, it`s going to be very hard to buy the horses and tack etc. without someone helping you ( or you will end up paying much more.) Before my trek I stayed few days with Stepperiders and we covered all the things I needed to know when I was riding alone. They really worked a lot to find good horses for me that would be able to do the job. I also stayed there few days after the trek and I felt more like a family member than a customer.”
You can also have a look at this YouTube 4 episodes mini series filmed by a solo trekker who trained at Stepperiders and traveled alone for more than one month: click
Stepperiders – Affordable Horse Treks and Accommodation for Independent Travelers
Come Ride With Us.